Medical gowns are an essential part of personal protective equipment used in health facilities to baffle the spread of infections. These are the second most used type of PPEs as the CDC recommends every healthcare worker to cover his arms and exposed body areas when dealing with patients.
Also called isolation gowns or procedural gowns, medical gowns provide a physical barrier against infectious materials and shield the wearer from germs and illnesses. They protect the clinicians and patients alike, reducing the risk of cross-infections in different medical settings.
Let’s take a detailed look at the protective medical gowns, their protection levels, and how to select the right one for your hospital facility.
Medical Gown Protection Levels
To uphold the national healthcare standards, the Association of the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) has defined safety standards for medical gowns to uphold the national healthcare standards. Based on their uses and protection level, AAMI has classified medical gowns into four levels, from AAMI level 1 to 4.
- Level 1 Medical Gowns: Ideal for minimal risk situations such as patient visits, isolation, and primary care, they provide a slight barrier against small amounts of fluids.
- Level 2 Medical Gowns: These low-risk medical gowns are crucial when working in a pathology lab or drawing blood from patients’ veins. They sufficiently block splashes and splattering of fluids.
- Level 3 Medical Gowns: As the risk increases to moderate, AAMI level 3 medical gowns offer a reliable barrier to even larger amounts of fluid penetration. These gowns are mandatory for tasks like arterial blood drawing, inserting an IV line, and emergency room procedures.
- Level 4 Medical Gowns: These are most resistant to infection spread and offer the best protection against high-risk procedures such as surgery and other situations that require a barrier against infectious pathogens and airborne diseases.
How To Choose The Best Medical Gowns
You need to consciously look for the best medical gowns to provide quality healthcare services at your facility. Consider choosing protective medical dresses for your hospital based on the following factors:
- Risk Protection Level: Of course, it depends on the services provided in your facility. Evaluate the risks involved in the procedures and whether the gown offers adequate protection against them.
- Barrier Properties: How well a medical gown blocks fluid penetration depends on its type of material. If you anticipate fluid spillage during the procedures, fluid-resistant hospital gowns are the ideal choice.
- Breathability: A breathable gown offers greater comfort and movability to its wearers. Disposable medical gowns are usually more breathable than reusable ones.
Shop Medical Gowns In Bulk From Health Supply Wholesalers
Health Supply Wholesalers provides a bulk supply of AAMI level 3 medical gowns at affordable prices. Our protective medical gowns are tested for liquid barrier performance and qualify the AAMI level 3 protection. Made with breathable fabric to allow ventilation, these protective apparels are convenient to wear and move around.
If you need medical gowns in Miami, Los Angeles, New York, or Indiana, just place your order here, and we’ll fill your wholesale medical gowns supply within no time.